Thursday, October 23, 2008

'Jamaican Red' Banana Harvest





So at last the red bananas are ready to eat!!! I ended up with four hands 2 w/twelve fruits, 1 w/ten fruits and 1 w/fourteen giving me a total of 48 bananas. They're organic and super sweet. This is one of my favorite fringe benefits of gardening! It took roughly ninety days from flower to fruit.

This is a medium size banana tree that has fruits with red skin. The inside of the fruit is more orange than yellow. This is considered the best dessert banana in the Caribbean.
this is an excerpt of my original post seen here.

Family: Musaceae •
Genus: Musa •
Species: acuminata (Colla) 1820 •
Country of Origin: Indo-Malaysian region reaching to northern Australia •
Common Names: 'Jamaican Red' •



Creative Commons License
'Jamaican Red' Banana Harvest by Eric Bronson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.flickr.com

4 comments:

Wicked Gardener said...

Very interesting bananas . . . is 90 days shorter or longer than other bananas? I can get bananas to bloom, but the frost always gets them before I see the fruit.

julian said...

They look nice - I never saw anything like around here even though their origin is this region...

brandank said...

Nice reds! they Look Delicious.

Muddy Mary said...

Now I wish the dwarf cavendish I JUST put in (it was on sale. It got me) was a Jamaican red banana. I sure would like to have the best dessert banana in the Caribbean.